Fax.to online fax service offers a HIPAA compliant variant to our normal fax service which involves an extra layer of technical, physical and procedural security measures to ensure EMR ( Electronic Medical Record ) providers and Health Care operations stay compliant with the HIPAA regulation on the way they exchange and transmit information.
Fax.to offers it's online fax HIPAA Compliant service that relies on the following 5 pillars. to transmit medical information and records through internet fax without compromising data security.
- Automatic Fax Deletion: Files uploaded and transmitted through our service are automatically deleted upon transmission of the file to ensure nobody including Fax.to staff can view any PII (Patient Identifying information)
- Audit trail: Fax.to provides a full audit trail for both faxes sent and received through our servers. An audit trail can be viewed online and can also be accounted for by the email confirmations sent when a fax is sent or received.
- Encryption: Fax messages can be delivered in encrypted formats be it SSL or signed email (PKI) to ensure that PPI (Patient identifying information) are delivered securely
- User Authentication: The online fax system is only accessed after authentication of username and passwords of each operator which are subsequently logged by the system.
- Physical Security: All our servers are hosted in secure environments and are only accessed by authorised and approved personnel. Our hosting providers have 24/7 security, surveillance and are ISO 27001 certified.
What is HIPAA?
HIPAA is the acronym for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act that was passed by Congress in 1996. HIPAA does the following:
- Provides the ability to transfer and continue health insurance coverage for millions of American workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs;
- Reduces health care fraud and abuse;
- Mandates industry-wide standards for health care information on electronic billing and other processes; and
- Requires the protection and confidential handling of protected health information
The HIPAA Privacy regulations require health care providers and organisations, as well as their business associates, to develop and follow procedures that ensure the confidentiality and security of protected health information (PHI) when it is transferred, received, handled, or shared. This applies to all forms of PHI, including paper, oral, and electronic, etc. Furthermore, it is of utmost importance that health care providers choose a HIPAA compliant fax service that is also transparent on the levels of coverage and measures.